Minutes May 19-20, 2006
Peripheral Localities and Innovation Policies (PLIP)
MINUTES OF THE PLIP RESEARCH WORKSHOP
in May 19-20, 2006 at CFUL, Esbjerg, Denmark
Seija Virkkala, Chydenius Institute, Finland
Kristiina Niemi, Chydenius Institute, Finland
Mats Johansson, KTH, Sweden
Riikka Ikonen, Nordregio, Sweden
Hjalti Jóhannesson, RHA, Iceland
Klaus Lindegaard, CFUL, Denmark
Hanne Tanvig, CFUL, Denmark
Monica Stoye, CFUL, Denmark
Åge Mariussen, NIFU STEP, Norway
Trond Einar Pedersen, NIFU STEP, Norway
The agenda of the workshop as well as other material was e-mailed to participants beforehand.
There was a plenty of discussion during the two workshop days. However, the minutes includes only the main topics of discussion and the common decisions made in the workshop.
The First Workshop Day
Friday May 19th, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Hanne and Klaus welcomed us to Esbjerg and said a few words. Seija opened the workshop. We decided to make a change in the agenda, so that after a short presentation of each good practice analysis and abstraction, there would be a presentation of experiences and the main outputs of the regional workshop(s) related to the good practice in question. The whole day was spent in the presentations and discussions regarding the good practices and the regional workshops. The order of the presentations was as follows, discussion being part of every presentation.
Good practice analysis and abstractions, experiences and outputs of the workshops
- The Lofoten good practice analysis and abstraction presented by Trond Einar
- Experiences and outputs of the workshop “Lofoten in Kokkola” by Kristiina
- Presentation of the Glomfjord case by Åge
- Experiences and outputs of the workshop “Lofoten in Iceland” by Hjalti
- Experiences and outputs of the workshop “Glomfjord in Iceland” by Hjalti
- Centria Ylivieska good practice analysis and abstraction by Kristiina and Seija
- Experiences and outputs of the workshop “Centria Ylivieska in Skive” by Klaus
- Experiences and outputs of the workshop “Centria Ylivieska in Borlänge” by Mats and Riikka
- STI good practice analysis and abstraction by Klaus
- Experiences and outputs of the workshop “STI in Ylivieska” by Kristiina
- IUC Lofoten good practice analysis and abstraction presented by Mats
- Experiences and outputs of the workshop “IUC in Skive” by Klaus
- Hofsos good practice analysis and abstraction by Hjalti
- Experiences and outputs of the workshop “Hofsos in Dalarna” by Riikka and Mats
- VIFU good practice analysis and abstraction by Monica
- Experiences and outputs of the workshop “VIFU in Lofoten” by Trond Einar
Åge summed up how to perceive these workshops as a learning process. We had an evaluation discussion on the workshops as well as the method.
We decided to send a summary of the main points of discussion in the regional workshops to the participants of the workshop in question to add and comment on.
The Second Workshop Day
Saturday May 19th, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
The focus was on disposition of the final report, agreements of the writing, the conclusion chapter, completing the existing texts etc. The final report must be ready by the end of September.
- We decided to have the country reports for the comparative analysis in the appendix of the report. In the beginning of chapter two there will be a summary of the reports.
- We decided not to include the descriptions of the three good practices that were not “transferred” in the report.
- We decided to divide the good practices under the following topics and use a corresponding structure in chapter III regarding the good practice analysis and the regional workshops:
a. Competence building (STI, Centria)
b. Entrepreneurship and product innovation (Glomfjord, Hofsos)
c. Networking and coordination (IUC, VIFU, Lofoten)
- There will also be a conclusion chapter under each of the above topics of good practices. Finnish team and Klaus will write the competence building conclusion chapter (Chapter III.2.5) and be responsible for editing the topic. Hjalti and Åge will write the conclusion chapter of the entrepreneurship and product innovation topic (Chapter III.3.5). They will also be responsible for editing the topic (Chapter III.3). Monica will write the conclusion chapter of the networking and coordination topic (Chapter III.4.7) with the help of Trond Einar and the Swedish team. They will also be responsible for editing the topic (Chapter III.4).
Disposition and details regarding the report etc. are in attachment of the minutes.
We had some discussion on the possible future projects together.
We agreed on the following deadlines:
- Good practice analysis (description and abstraction) by the country teams by July 1st, 2006 (Seija will comment the drafts soon)
- Transferability analysis (workshop outputs and evaluations) by the country teams by July 1st, 2006
- Conclusions on the good practices by topic by the corresponding teams by July 1st, 2006 (Competence building – the Finnish team and Klaus, Entrepreneurship and product innovation – Hjalti and Åge, Networking and coordination – Monica with the help of Trond Einar and the Swedish team)
- Comments on introduction, comparative analysis, summary and conclusion (written by the Finnish team) by others by August 18th, 2006.
Seija will write the first draft of the summary and mail it soon to be commented.