Highbio - Interreg Nord
- INFO from the HighBio project (More Info sheets in and Finnish)
- HighBio project publication: Biomass gasification to heat, electricity and biofuels
- HighBio-Bioenergy Seminar 18.11.2008 in Kokkola
- 12.5.2009 in Luleå
- HighBio-Bioenergy Seminar 3.11.2009 in Ylivieska
- 18.5.2010 in Piteå
- 9.11.2010 in Oulu.
- (final Seminar) 24.5.2011 in Kokkola r
- The HighBio research project "Refining of new products and new raw materials by gasification of biomass" is jointly carried out by Finland and Sweden
- Kokkola University Consortium Chydenius (coordinator) FI
- University of Oulu - Department of Chemistry FI
- Central Ostrobothnia University of Applied Sciences - Centria Ylivieska FI
- Luleå University of Technology SE
- ETC in Piteå SE
- The project is co-financed by the EU Interreg IV A Nord programme, for the years 2008-2011.
- Bioenergy and environment are the focus areas of the HighBio research project.
- The project consists of five work packages (WP), which are;
- WP 1. Development of the gasification process
- WP 2. Effect of raw materials on the gasification process
- WP 3. Utilization of end-products
- WP 4. Evaluation and techno-economical analysis of process
- WP 5. Information delivery.
- The information and expertise produced will be integrated by the research groups.
Relevance of the HighBio research
- Wood combustion for heating purposes has been a traditional way of energy production.
- Recently, more attention has been paid to simultaneous heat and power production in small-scale CHP units.
- The down-draft gasifier used in this research opens up new possibilities not only for efficient heat and power production (from energy intensive gas), but also for novel chemical synthesis, applying the known catalytic reactions.
- The utilization gasification by-products (e.g. wood ash) is a current and challenging phenomenon.
- Read more about the HighBio project
- University of Jyväskylä, Kokkola University Consortium Chydenius