Wireless sensor networks monitoring the environment
(1.4.2008 - 30.3.2011)
The main objective of the project is to develop short-range wireless sensor network technology suitable for monitoring the environment as effectively as possible. Another important aim is to increase the co-operation between the organizations and the researchers participating in environmental research within the region and, at the same time, to increase the researchers’ knowledge of sensor network technology.
The concrete objectives of the project are summarised below:
- To combine the knowledge of the environmental researchers and the researchers of chemistry and ICT, in order to develop technology for monitoring the environment.
- To produce new knowledge of the environmental surveillance carried out by the sensor networks, which benefits the organizations monitoring the environment.
- To develop the measuring technologies of the sensor networks monitoring the environment.
- To improve the network management properties of the sensor networks monitoring the environment.
- To improve the energy saving properties of the sensor networks monitoring the environment.
- To build two test networks: one suitable for long-lasting measuring, when the energy saving properties are highlighted, and another more short-lived network, which can easily and quickly be introduced.
The co-operation partners
- The West Finland Regional Environment Centre
- Finnish Environment Institute
- Geological Survey of Finland
- City of Kokkola
- MTT Fur Industry
Back to the previous page